Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

January 22, 2010

Health Care in MN

Having health insurance and amazing system of doctors and clinics in Minnesota is something I try not to take for granted.  I am always in awe of the amount it actually costs to walk in the door when I get those print outs in the mail versus my 20 dollar co-pay.  I know people who do not have health insurance because they cannot afford it and I have often thought how stressful it would be to wonder whether or not you should take your child to the doctor because the total bill could totally put you in greater debt.  My biggest annoyance is wondering whether I will have thrown away 20 dollars to know for certain if E-man has an ear infection or not - that's a big difference in mentalities and even stress levels.  I realize what a privilege it is to be 'covered'. 

I've been thinking about health care again this week and I'm thankful for kind doctors, nurses and lab technicians who will take their time talking to you and answering your questions.  I'm also thankful for very little wait time - in PA, I always remember planning for waiting times of at least 20 minutes if not more - in MN, it is a rare day that I actually have had to wait for 20 minutes or more and they often have a chart telling you if your doctor is behind and by how much - isn't that a nice courtesy?  All of this has been so helpful especially when waiting with a small child and having a small child who frequents the doctor often.  So, today I am thankful once again for health care and insurance.   

No comments:

Post a Comment