Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

January 26, 2010

Piano Students

(End of lesson, last lesson of night)




“L – do you have any questions for me tonight?”



(6 year old, cutie pie, thinking long and hard)



“Yes, I do have one! Why did you become a piano teacher?”



“Well, I had a very fun piano teacher when I was growing up …”



”… and you wanted to be like her and be a very fun piano teacher?”



“Yes, and I also love music and piano and singing.”



“Well I love music and piano and singing, too!!”



“I know L – I can tell! You’re doing such a great job learning the piano!”



BIG SMILE and … as I’m walking out the door of her home, after my second hug of the night, she yells out “I LOVE YOU EMILY!”



“I love you too, L!”



So … yes – I am so grateful for my job. I am grateful for the years and years of piano lessons my parents paid for, drove me to, encouraged me to practice for and hung in there through my nerve-racking recitals.






I am grateful for the teachers who loved on me through music.






I am also grateful for those first students/parents who let me ‘learn’ how to teach and all of my students who continue to help me get better as a teacher as I learn from all of them.



I have many great, generous shoulders I stand and teach on each week and I’m grateful for everyone who has contributed to my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment