Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

September 20, 2010

Laura Bush

I am almost done reading Laura Bush's "Spoken from the Heart".  I have enjoyed it, been challenged by it and been almost moved to tears by it.  She is a gifted story teller and writer.  I appreciate her candid nature and also her ability to weave our nation's history into her own life story.  I admire her resolve to encourage the world in the education and literacy of (men) women and children.  As she emphasizes over and over again, one of the ways to combat terror is through educating the ignorant (much of this was so similar in philosophy to Three Cups of Tea - I was shocked).  Reading this book has changed many of my opinions about many different things and deepened my concern for many other things.   One thing I know for sure, as I finish the last pages of this book, I am thankful for all of our President's - past and present.  It is a role I don't think anyone can ever fully understand and it comes with such terribly difficult knowledge to shoulder and decisions that need making with the knowledge the rest of the world has no clue about ... so thank you for your service, Mr. President (past and present included).  AND ... thank you to all of the First Ladies and their families who have sacrificed greatly for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment