Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

October 4, 2010

Grateful Reflections [from the past week]

Background ... Ross and I flew to PA to attend Converge's Church Planter's Assessment Center.  It was an intense time of being 'watched' and questioned by very wise people.  We also had 3 personality inventories we took before arriving, so we received the results during the course of the week.  Our goal in attending this time was to see if who God has uniquely created us to be as individuals and a couple would be a good fit with and some day lead us to church planting.  Our time was extremely fruitful and we learned a lot about ourselves and we were affirmed in many ways.

We are grateful for the assessors and therapists who spent time with us all week.  We are grateful for the Ely family who hosted us and loaned us a car all week.



The Ely Family 


Barb and Keith Brown

A special friend picked us up from the airport and another set of dear friends dropped us off at the airport.  We are grateful to Grace Point (yes, my home church in PA) for hosting us for the week.  (I was personally very overwhelmed in a wonderful way by the hugs and love from my 'church family' in PA during the week.)  We are grateful for the new friends we made from all over the country.  I think one of the best parts of the week was being encouraged by all that God is doing through his people to build his Church in our country.  Both Ross and I were encouraged to remember how central the gospel is to our lives and faith.

My Mom and Dad watched E-man for us while we were gone and we were both very thankful for them.  One of the candidate couples had a 3.5 month old with them and their experience had to have been very altered by the little one being with them.  We didn't worry about the little dude one bit and we knew he was having a fabulous time going to the zoo, getting his hair cut, going to the pumpkin farm, riding a surrey at Minnehaha Falls, etc. I was thankful he missed us a bit (does a Mom's heart good) and he came running to us with a big smile and lots of hugs when we walked in the door.

Ethan and his new haircut, happily coloring in MN.  

Tuesday, before the assessment center began, I was blessed to spend time with my piano teacher from K-12 grade.  Being with her is always good for my soul.  She continues to still be such a huge blessing in my life.  Late Wednesday night, I also was able to spend some quality time with one of my high school girlfriends.  I am amazed at how God has been at work in her life and marriage and it was so good to just be together and process life a bit.  What a gift these friends are to me!

My dear piano teacher, Mrs. B! :) 
 

The assessment officially ended Friday mid-morning and due to flight prices, we still had a day to spend in Bucks County (thank goodness - because we didn't hardly step foot outside of the church until Thursday late afternoon except to drive back and forth to the Ely's during the week).  Before leaving town, we indulged in Meglio's pizza.  Then, we enjoyed a road trip to Ocean City (made it there in an hour and 20 minutes which is amazing).  We walked the boards, processed more of the week, did some shopping, and headed back to Newtown by the evening.  Saturday morning we enjoyed chatting with Lynn over delicious waffles and then hiked around Tyler State Park for a bit before picking up Bagle Junction on our way back to the Ely's to catch our ride to the airport.  We made the most of our few 'free' hours, too!  What a blessing this past week was to me and to Ross.  I think this past week will always be a part of our 'story' as it helped to clarify 'next steps' for us to take as seek God's good plan for our lives and ministry.


My happy place!  


Enjoying Tyler State Park

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had such a nice trip. Sounds like God is leading you in very exciting directions!

    ReplyDelete