Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

November 9, 2010

New Birth

(Warning ... Just because I have a title that includes the word birth, please do not assume I am pregnant or announcing that I am pregnant in this post.)

I have been thinking about this subject since Sunday at church - well - really I've been thinking about it for a few weeks as I prepare and pick out songs for the congregation I help to lead in song and as I attempt to be thematic in doing so I've been mulling over the idea of being 'born again'.  I know most 'modern' churches have moved away from thematic-type worship services (and using the term 'born again') but I think thematic services of worship are SO meaningful and rich for a community who participates in song, scripture and teaching all around one topic for one hour.  I believe the Word is more likely to 'stick' if it is creatively supported through the other elements of the service  Whoops - I just was on my soap box for a few sentences - back to my post ...

So the theme for this past week was "What does Jesus have to say about ... new birth?"  We were in John 3  when Nicodemus asks Jesus, "How can someone be born when they are old? ... Surely they cannot enter  second time into their mother's womb to be born?"   Jesus goes on to explain what it means to be 'born again'.  Pastor Dan started off the sermon by reflecting on how AMAZING birth is and how incredible it is to actually watch a human baby being born.  I was spending time later that day with a friend of mine who is due to have a baby in the next few weeks and as I sat in her home, it again hit me how marvelous new birth is - how it is anticipated - how it is celebrated - how it is such a blessing to the whole family.  I spoke with her Dad - grandpa-to-be - who said 'I don't understand how you cannot believe in a creator God when you have witnessed the birthing process.'  Isn't it neat how God has given us so many ways to witness 'new birth' through human and animal babies being born, creation coming to life every Spring, etc. etc. etc.  I just think our God is so creative in giving us tangible, understandable examples in His creation of what He desires to do in our hearts and souls.

I'm thankful for the 'new life' God has provided me through his son, Jesus Christ!

1 comment:

  1. I like the worship service when the music and scripture are tied together. Wooddale does that each week, too.

    On another note, your new family photo is really fun! Also, I like your new wallpaper.

    Thanks for the encouragement of gratefulness, Em!

    ReplyDelete