Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

November 3, 2010

SLOW DOWN

Story first ... then the grateful moment.

Ross is working at Bethel until very late tonight so my wonderful in-laws agreed to watch E-man while I went down to church for choir rehearsal.  I needed to chat with the choir director after rehearsal and knew I needed to pick him and get him home for bed.  I chatted with Ross briefly on my way back to his parents' home and I even said - I'm getting off the phone, there are a lot of cops out here tonight.  A few minutes later, within a few feet of making the turn onto my in-laws street, the red and blue lights came on and a HUGE RIDICULOUSLY BRIGHT flood light.  I pulled over and this is how the conversation went ...

Cop:  Hi. How are you tonight?

Me: Good.

Cop:  Do you know why I pulled you over?

Me:  I was going too fast.

Cop:  That's true.  Do you know how fast you were going?

Me: 40?  (I mean, it was sort of a lucky guess but I usually pay pretty close attention to my speed)

Cop:  I clocked you going 43.  Do you know what the speed limit is right here?

Me: I really don't.

Cop:  It's 30.  Where are you heading tonight?

Me:  [Sticking my arm out the window, pointing at the street I was about to turn on] Actually, I was about to turn right here to pick up my 2 year old and I'm running late.

Cop:  Can I see your ID?

Me:  Sure.

Cop:  I'll be right back.

(literally only took like 2 minutes - thank goodness for a clean, boring record!)

Cop:  I'm just going to ask you to slow it down.  We've had a lot of complaints on this road lately, that's why I'm out here tonight.

Me:  No problem!  Thank you!

Cop:  Have a good night.

There's my THANKFUL moment for the day!  I'm thankful because:
-sometimes honesty does pay off
-the cop was really kind and not scary
-it was a 'free' warning to slow down
-the whole heart-racing moment only took 4 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes all we need is a warning! I've had no speeding tickets (ever), but two warnings. Glad you were spared!

    ReplyDelete