Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Week Thoughts

We have been so busy with good things the last few days.

Sunday afternoon (after the ice storm) I was able to spend some time with Stephanie and Mel.  We were trying to treat Mel to a pedicure for her birthday, but the THREE nail salons we went to were not open (even though they usually are on Sundays).  So, we ended up chatting at Starbucks for a bit which was much needed with some big things going on in our lives.  After that, Ross and I went to Harry Potter because my parents were treating E-man to Curious George Live!  He had a blast and we enjoyed the movie.  Monday brought MOPS, teaching and normal life.  Tuesday found E-man and I at the Children's Museum with friends in the morning, hanging out with Krista in the afternoon, teaching in the evening, Ross rehearsing at Cornerstone and a surprise visit with Josh and Ann.  In the midst of all of this, one of my biggest thankfuls from the past day is that Teigan Lin Hardy was born to Mel and Kyle.  Mel is one of my closest girlfriend's and I just am SO EXCITED TO MEET a brand new 'niece'! :) I'm thankful Mom and baby are doing well.

Today, I am sitting in the surgical waiting room, catching up on my blog writing while Ross is in surgery for his kidney stones.  Last night I had expressed to Ross that I was feeling overwhelmed because our house kind of 'exploded' with these busy days we've been having and as I came downstairs to get ready to take him to the hospital, the whole kitchen area was beautifully cleaned up.  Ross is the best - I am so thankful for him - even on the day he's going into surgery - he manages to serve me by helping to get our house under control.  He also let me sleep in and he took care of E-man while I got ready.  Like I said - he's amazing.  Hopefully I can work on showing empathy and compassion  to him while he's recovering the next few days.

I've been reflecting on what I'm 'thankful' for this Thanksgiving season and I realized I'm grateful for this  blog which has 'held me accountable' to how I view and think about my life.  Knowing that I have a place to express 'gratitude' in my every day moments has really grown my perspective and my thoughts about how gratitude can impact how one thinks and in turn how one lives and expresses thanks on a daily basis - to family, friends, and to our great God.    It has given me fresh eyes to recognize my feelings of 'entitlement' that are based on the culture around me and my own self-ishness rather than God's truth about who I am and the world around me.   I have much to be grateful for even while sitting in a hospital waiting room the day before Thanksgiving! :) May you find ways to express your gratitude to those you love and to the God who has provided for you during this week where we hopefully find time to focus on ' giving thanks'.

1 comment:

  1. Em, your blog has been an encouragement to many - even though they may not make comments. It's good to be looking for the good in things.

    Hopefully Ross is feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete