Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

November 24, 2010

Over Due - Weekend Reflections

So we had an ice storm in Minnesota from Saturday night through Sunday morning.

Normally this kind of weather would freak me out because I have a 25 minute drive I do on Sunday mornings to get to the church I am leading worship at and who wants to drive on ice?!  Not me - I know enough about ice from living in PA - we had some amazing ice storms back in the day.  

Rewind: A few weeks ago I had planned to take 'off' this Sunday from Park Free because I needed to make a trip out to Medina and Delano to do some worship consulting/observing of services at 2 churches out there.

This is one of those times I cannot simply chalk up all of this to 'coincidence'.  I believe God provided for my safety through some of the plans I had made a few weeks ago, and instead of having to make the trip, fearing the black ice on the roads, I was able to stay home with my boys.  My observations at these churches will happen another Sunday.  My Mom even called to encourage us not to make the drive out to those churches (because that drive was going to be 45 minutes on a good day).  She usually remains very neutral about stuff like this so her call also confirmed that we should stay put. (PLUS the news reported 53 accidents at 7:30 and by 8:30 there were 250+ accidents.) So, very peacefully, we decided to stay in and attempt a trip to Mill City (only 20 minutes away) later in the morning.  Well ... we got in the car, pulled out of the garage, turned the corner (still in our neighborhood) and slid in the curb.  Needless to say, we didn't go to church on Sunday and we were thankful to just stay in ... although I will say I always fight with my 'responsibility' strength when staying home from something I said I was going to do. Ross, on the other hand, is so chill and relax about decisions like this one.  I'm grateful to have his perspective in my life.

A super 'thankful' bonus was that Park Free ended up canceling their services because the parking lot was like a skating rink.  So, during a week when I thought I had three service orders to prepare (Sunday the 21st, Thanksgiving Eve Service and Sunday the 28th) I was able to push the 21st service order back to the 28th and then I only had to finalize the Thanksgiving Eve stuff.  YAY!

It's one of those times I feel grateful for the eyes to see God at work in my life.  I'm thankful for his provision and protection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment