Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

April 24, 2010

Rainy Saturday Thoughts

I love sleeping with the windows open during this time of the year.  I love the smell of the outside air and the coolness of the night.  I especially enjoy waking up to rain and a little bit of thunder on a Saturday morning when I don't have to get up immediately and get on with the day.

Thank you Lord for the rain!  We definitely need it in MN as many counties are already under fire restrictions because we've had a lack of snow (PTL) and rain so far this spring.

I'm also thankful for Here's Life Inner City.  We went to their Fellowship Dinner last night.  My college roommate Erica and her husband Aaron are on staff with them and so they invited us to attend.  It was in Minneapolis at the Hilton Hotel.  There were many different stories shared and John Piper was the main speaker.  I will admit I was very skeptical of having to listen to Piper last night - I know - gasp - I am just not the biggest supporter for various reasons, but I thought he gave several very good challenges to all of us who are 'in ministry' last night.  It was actually one of the best messages I've heard from him - ever.  I had fun sitting next to Nora Honson - Matt, her husband, is the man who fell while hiking when they were doing missions work in China and he really almost died.  Several local news stations carried their story.  It was neat to see both of them and get caught up with their lives a bit.  It was especially neat to hear how the state of MN has covered all of Matt's medical bills (nearly 1 million dollars) since their return to the states.  Isn't that just incredible?!  How amazing is that provision for them!?  We also saw several other Bethel friends at the dinner and all in all the night was a really special celebration of the work God is doing through Here's Life Inner City: Twin Cities.

It is always refreshing to hear stories of how God is actively at work right in our backyard, changing lives through the power of the gospel message.  May we continue to recall his works and wonders in order to encourage one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment