Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

May 13, 2010

After Work Randoms

Driving home from work tonight I was SO hungry.  Wayzata is not exactly 5 minutes from my kitchen ... so the whole ride home I found my thoughts drifting to food.  I ate my 'dinner' at about 4:30 because I was hungry that early while I was teaching today!  BAH! So needless to say, I was hungry again by about 7 and still had 2 hours of teaching to go which left me with a lot of time to think about what I was going to eat. 

On the way home, I decided a stop at Target was in order to pick up a few ingredients for a salad I decided to make to bring to my friend's home tomorrow for lunch (yes, I decided this while I was super hungry and driving home).  I am thankful Target is open until 11 p.m. during the week.  I grabbed my few things, groaned when I saw the price of milk is rising, checked out and drove the .8 miles home.

Once at home I needed a food fix (I ALMOST stopped at Culver's and decided against it).  I had been thinking about the chocolate chip cookies on the counter so I started with only 2 of those and a big glass of milk while making up my salad for tomorrow.  Then I moved on to my HONEY ROASTED PEANUTS! YUM! YUM! YUM! I am thankful someone thought to put sugar, honey and salt on a peanut.  I think because they are from Trader Joe's I feel as though they must be 'healthy' (ha!). So delicious.

As I was thinking about food, eating, and making my salad I also had the random thought that I never really gave a shout out to our last night of the year with our house group from Renovation Church this past Sunday.  See how random my brain is tonight?  Being a part of a brand new church has been a cool experience.  It has forced both Ross and me out of our comfort zones in many ways.  At some point this Fall, I realized I needed to make the choice to engage with new friends if I was going to truly enjoy this new community.  House Group at Renovation really helped me out with this one and I now feel like I have some new, quality friends thanks to our Sunday nights we have spent together over this school year.   So, just a word of encouragement to any of you seeking community ... sometimes it takes you making an effort to engage with new people and you deciding it's okay to invite new people into your life.  It's definitely worth it but it might take some time! :)

How's that for a peak into my brain after 6 hours of listening to the same recital pieces for the 8th week in a row?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment