Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

February 8, 2010

Creative Arts for the Soul

True confession - I LOVE musicals. I have ever since I was a little girl. I believe back in the day I had a limit on how many times I could watch "The Sound of Music" in a day or in a week. :) Ross also likes them, so we have started a collection of them. If you ever want to borrow one, just ask!

I am extremely grateful for the many fond memories I have attending Broadway musicals, being in musicals or playing in the pit orchestra for musicals.  Instead of having a big Sweet 16 birthday party, I opted for a trip into NYC to see Les Miserables with my mom.  Wonderful.  A good friend's dad offered me free, front row, balcony seats to Phantom of the Opera in NYC one Christmas break which Bryant (a close high school friend) and I enjoyed very much.  I believe I saw Beauty and the Beast in NYC or Philly, as well as Annie Get Your Gun in NYC on a field trip.  I'm sure there are some that I am forgetting.  (I also love shows like Stomp, etc.) For my birthday this year, Ross totally surprised me and got us tickets to Mary Poppins - you MUST see it if you ever get the chance.  Favorite birthday as a married lady so far!  I smiled from ear to ear the whole time. 

I believe whole-heartedly that the creative arts have a way of reaching the soul like nothing else.  I realize I am extremely privileged to have grown up with so much 'art' in my life but I am also extremely thankful for it's influence on my soul. 

A certain piece of musical art has really been sitting with me for the past few years. There is something about the songs in the musical Wicked that really speak to my heart. I've seen it twice - both times in Chicago. I was brought to tears both times. If you are not familiar with Wicked ... hmmm ... you should be ... :)



I remember when my worship team members were talking about it before I had even heard about it. My bass player, Dave, burned me a copy because it was something I absolutely needed to hear, according to him. I listened, thought the lyrics were clever and witty and the score beautiful. However, it was not until I saw it for myself that I realized what a gem of a musical I was watching. Ross's parents got me the piano/vocal book for Christmas and let me tell you - other than the Psalty CDs from my parents - this was my favorite gift. (Sigh) My favorite song is "For Good" but every song is amazing in it's own way.  Something about this song gets me every time - I went to bed singing it last night. 


(Glinda):

I've heard it said

That people come into our lives for a reason

Bringing something we must learn

And we are led

To those who help us most to grow

If we let them

And we help them in return

Well, I don't know if I believe that's true

But I know I'm who I am today

Because I knew you...



Like a comet pulled from orbit

As it passes a sun

Like a stream that meets a boulder

Halfway through the wood

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?

But because I knew you

I have been changed for good



(Elphaba):

It well may be

That we will never meet again

In this lifetime

So let me say before we part

So much of me

Is made of what I learned from you

You'll be with me

Like a hand print on my heart

And now whatever way our stories end

I know you have re-written mine

By being my friend...



Like a ship blown from its mooring

By a wind off the sea

Like a seed dropped by a skybird

In a distant wood

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?

But because I knew you



(Glinda):

Because I knew you



(Both):

I have been changed for good



(Elphaba):

And just to clear the air

I ask forgiveness

For the things I've done you blame me for



(Glinda):

But then, I guess we know

There's blame to share



(Both):

And none of it seems to matter anymore



(Glinda):

Like a comet pulled from orbit

As it passes a sun

Like a stream that meets a boulder

Halfway through the wood



(Elphaba):

Like a ship blown from its mooring

By a wind off the sea

Like a seed dropped by a bird in the wood



(Both):

Who can say if I've been

Changed for the better?

I do believe I have been

Changed for the better



(Glinda):

And because I knew you...



(Elphaba):

Because I knew you...



(Both):

Because I knew you...

I have been changed for good...

4 comments:

  1. Les Mis was my first show on Broadway too. I get chills just thinking of it! - Love this song from Wicked (& love the whole CD) but still haven't seen it. Maybe someday.

    Thanks for being one of those dear friends that has changed me for the better and for good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You saw Beauty and the Beast in NYC with Er and me over J-term break. It was an amazing experience!
    YOU GOT THE PSALTY CDS?! They rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bird - THANK YOU! I was trying to remember where the heck I was and who I was with ... now it's all coming back to me. YAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily! Stumbled upon your blog - and really love it!

    Couldn't agree with you more about musicals in general, and ESPECIALLY Wicked. I loved the music before I ever saw the show, and both times I saw it, I was openly crying during more than one part! The lyrics of so many of the songs are very powerful and meaningful. My new favorite thing is that my sister and I sing along to the CD on the way to the cabin in the summer (we take turns on who is Glinda and who is Elphaba(: )

    Thanks for sharing, and keep up the great posts!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete