Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

February 20, 2010

Eating Out

Growing up, eating out was a rare treat.  Newtown had very few restaurants, Goodnoes being one of the few I can recall going to as a family.   As I got older and Newtown grew, so did it's population of eateries.  However, for most of my growing up years, if we were going out to eat, we had to drive as far as Oxford Valley Mall to go out to eat and we did this mostly for special occasions.  I never minded.  I never knew any different.  I am grateful for all of the nights we spent around the dinner table as a family rather than in the car eating fast food on our way to the next activity as so many families do today.  

These days, within 1 to 2 miles of our home we have a Chili's, Chipotle, Noodles & Co. (new to Blaine!), Culvers, Wendy's, Jimmy John's, Cold Stone, Little Caesar's, Brueggers, various coffee joints, McDonald's (2), Taco John's, Arby's, White Castle, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Zantiago, LeeAnn Chin's, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Sassy Pig, Majors Sports Bar,  Mei Wei (Chinese), Perkins, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Subway AND CUB Grocery Store and Target Super Store.  Think about all of that food within walking distance of our house.  

Not only does the above list of places emphasize how times have changed as families rely on 'fast food' but it also is crazy to think about how much food is so readily available for anyone who has the means to pay for it/buy it.  In many parts of the world, how we eat in America is totally overwhelming and excessive. 

I originally started this post with the intent to say I'm grateful for being able to go out to eat.  At the end of a long week, I love going out to eat on the weekends.  Yesterday I had lunch out with my mom and E-man and Mexican with Ross. Yes - that's twice in one day.  I really am thankful for the privilege I realize I have to be able to fund and enjoy eating out.  However, I also think, even in writing this post, I am realizing how much I take it for granted and how excessive food is in my life.  Some of the excess simply comes from the culture surrounding me and whether I like it or not, the culture around me definitely influences my eating habits. Definitely something to keep thinking about ... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment