Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

February 14, 2010

Mac and $

This is my first post written from our new computer!  I am very grateful for this addition to our household.  We bought a Dell Desktop back in 2004 when Ross began seminary.  It has been a great computer for us but it was getting very slow and it was starting to not perform basic functions.  Plus, it was a desk top which I'm still debating about how I will adjust to having a lap top, but mostly I think it will be super convenient.  We have been saving for this purchase and with the help of Ross's extra money from teaching, we were able to go out this weekend and purchase our new computer.  Our good friend, David, who has been telling us of all the benefits of joining the Mac community, also let us know about a great deal on the MacBook at this store called Micro Center.  So - not only did we get a MacBook but I know we got an amazing deal, too.  Thanks David C.! WOOHOO!!!!

I am especially thankful for the ability to make this purchase.  Why?

Today at Renovation Church (RENOVATIONCHURCHMN.ORG), we were challenged to think about stewardship.  It was a great message and I really appreciated the challenge to think about why and how we give.  David, our pastor, used this website to challenge us to view our wealth in light of the rest of the world:  globalrichlist.com  According to this website - if you make $39,000 (average MN income) or more a year you are in the top 3.46% OF THE RICHEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.  That's something to think about ... then my Dad just got home from Compassion International's board meetings.  He always comes back with stories that bring tears to my eyes about children and families in poverty who's lives are changed by the churches Compassion is working with all around the world.  Thinking about how much I have been blessed with reminds me of the verse that says "to whom much has been given, much will be required" (Luke 12:48; I know it's a little out of context - thanks Ross :)).  I hope to be someone who is as generous with what I have as possible and I hope to have the eyes to see people around me who are in need.  I'm thankful for the people in my life who challenge me to think about how I can be more generous with all I have been given.

(Side note - our family enjoyed Valentine's Day brunch after church today.  Yum!  Brunch has got to be one of my favorite meals.  Last night Ross's parents treated us to dinner for his birthday - very fun and delicious.  We've had a fun weekend of celebrating Ross's birthday and Valentine's Day.  Neither Ross nor I really buy into the whole commercialization of Valentine's Day ... but we do enjoy eating conversation hearts and telling our friends and families we love them! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment