Cultivating a Life of Gratitude

I am committing myself, during 2010, to attempt to cultivate a greater awareness of how much I have to be thankful and grateful for by sharing my daily findings and musings with you. It is my hope that by blogging about gratitude, I will be more aware of what is going on around me in my life, my family, my friends' lives and our world.

February 2, 2010

The Word

I have done 2 Beth Moore studies since Fall 2008.  Daniel I completed with a wonderful group of women from Eagle Brook Church during the 2008-2009 school year.  I have been doing a study on David by myself over the past 3 months.  My small group girls also completed Anointed, Transformed, and Redeemed this past fall (2009) which was taught by 3 amazing women, one of them being Beth, and it was also about the life of David.  

ANYWAY!  All that to say - I am thankful for women who are passionate about teaching God's Word.  Beth is a gifted teacher and she is a truth teller.  I appreciate her willingness to use her gifts of communication for God's Kingdom purposes. 

I am also thankful for the character of David.  Thus far, the majority of the study I'm currently doing  has been about how David was anointed by Samuel, as a young man, and then had to wait for 15 years before becoming King and it goes through everything David went through during that period of waiting/training/running from Saul.  In many ways, I feel as though I'm in an 'in between' stage of life and I have been very much encouraged to keep my eyes open for what God is doing around me and in me -  to watch for what God is doing to prepare me for the future.  So, I'm praying for eyes to see and patience to wait and contentment to enjoy the now. 

I am also thankful for people like my Mom and Dad who are examples of Word-dwellers.  I kind of just made that term up - but I have memories all during my growing up years of my parents sitting, studying God's Word and sharing it with our family in practical ways.  Of course, my Dad also happens to be my favorite preacher.  I remember ditching second hour kids programming to sit in the service around 4th or 5th grade because I was a learner and loved listening to Dad.  My Mom gave me my life verse about 20 years ago or so - Philippians 4:6 -7  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."  I believe she recognized a spirit of anxiety in me and I remember many days when she would pray with me to help calm my anxious thoughts and fears.  This verse was committed to memory as a little girl and it continues to be my motto.  Thanks Mom and Dad for teaching through the way you live.  I hope I can be someone who hides God's Word in my heart often enough that it overflows onto my family! 

Ultimately, I am thankful for the freedom I have to study God's Word and I pray I never take this privilege and honor for granted.

3 comments:

  1. As someone who didn't have the blessing of growing up around "word-dwellers", I'm thankful for friends who point me back to it!

    Love the new layout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great thoughts em - thanks for sharing them
    words of wisdom indeed
    We can learn a lot from David... both good and bad.
    Loved the thing about philippians 4:6-7... ironically, my mom would constantly say that verse to me and pray that verse over me as I grew up too... it's one of my favorites and I keep it near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Em. When you mentioned your life verse, it got me wondering what mine was:). So I asked Mom and Dad to come up with one for me if they didn't already and here's what they sent my way:)

    Michah 6:8
    He has shown you, O man, what is good:
    And what does the Lord require of you?
    To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

    ReplyDelete